Nov 29, 2011

Simply Christmas...


Coincidentally our church is advocating our members to consider simplifying their lives this Christmas season.  I say "coincidentally" because with our current situation of unemployment and now a family health crisis going on, it had already been on my mind to somehow celebrate the birth of the Savior in a more appropriate and thoughtful way than we have in past years.

I do love the entire Christmas season.  I love decorating our home, baking the cookies, giving and receiving the gifts, going to the parties and concerts and special church services, and the hundreds of other little things we traditionally do non-stop for about six weeks out of the year.

I'm not sure at this point what exactly I will do differently this year.  I'm still thinking about what that might look like.  I had the idea that I will do a brief blog post each day starting December 1st and going through the entire season~both for the purpose of keeping myself accountable and also to share with you my ideas.  I hope you will share some of yours with me as well.

"...I am the light of the world..." John 9:5

3 comments:

Jess said...

Oh Jacque...simplification is so needed!
The main way that we keep CHRIST in Christmas is to observe the tradition of Advent. This amounts to taking time each of the 4 Sundays before Christmas to light a candle, read scripture and sing a hymn or two. The point is to focus on elements of Christ's 1st Coming and anticipate His sure return! Then a final (5th) candle is lit on Christmas Day.
This year, our dear neighbors are joining us in this tradition and we are so blessed because of course our kids live too far away to participate. Isn't GOD so good to arrange this? Bless His Name!

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

Morning Jacquelyn,
So very sorry to hear about your brother, and want you to know we will sure be praying for him, and for the whole family, no one ever wants to hear that dreaded C word that is for sure. We have experienced it in our family with both dads, and both my step sisters, so know what a helpless feeling it is, but so thankful to know the Lord and to have the gift of prayer at these times.

Yes, simplifying is a good thing!
Have been working on that for years
lil by lil, have been so over stressed out Christmas's for years.

Know my prayers are with you and your family hon,
Love and Blessings

Lois Christensen said...

I'm trying so hard to simplify as well! I hope I can convince my hubby! It might be hard since he missed the last two Christmas' here! Can't wait to read all your posts!!!