Dec 2, 2009

The King Shall Come...


This Advent season, more than any other I can remember, I have been thinking not only of the birth of Jesus when He first came to earth, but also of His second coming, when He will return to take His own to be with Him in heaven.

The phrase "He's coming soon!" is one I've heard all my life. Some have grow weary of waiting, after all, it's been over 2000 years since He ascended to His Father. Others have tried to predict the date of His return. But Jesus told us that He Himself doesn't even know, only the Father.

Actually the word "soon" is a little mistranslated. The meaning is more like "quickly". When Jesus comes again, it will be a sudden event. The curtain will fall on history as we have known it, and we shall at last see the light of Christ in all His splendor.

The words to this old Advent hymn say it so beautifully:

The King Shall Come
John Brownlie (1859-1925)

The King shall come when morning dawns
And light triumphant breaks,
When beauty gilds the eastern hills
And life to joy awakes.

Not as of old a little child,
To bear and fight and die,
But crowned with glory like the sun
That lights the morning sky.

Oh, brighter than the rising morn
When Christ, victorious, rose
And left the lonesome place of death
Despite the rage of foes.

Oh, brighter than that glorious morn
Shall dawn upon our race
The day when Christ in splendor comes
And we shall see his face.

The King shall come when morning dawns
And light and beauty brings.
Hail, Christ the Lord! Your people pray:
Come quickly, King of kings.


6 comments:

Rebecca said...

I think the words in the song are SO strong and hopeful - so reassuring! It was not a familiar one to me...

I like the nativity set in your heading. (We're having an Open House this Saturday at church with a display of the nativity sets belonging to members of our congregation.)

Be blessed this evening, friend.

Kaye Swain said...

What a lovely picture AND a lovely nativity! Thank you for the wonderful words of encouragement as well. :)

Jacquelyn Stager said...

Rebecca, I've really been enjoying picking up hymnals each morning during Advent and really looking at the words to the Advent hymns. So much rich theology!
The nativity pieces are from a set I inherited from my grandmother. They have prices on the bottoms of each piece--like 19 cents each! The stable is made of olive wood from the Holy Land that I purchased from a missionary. I love it too...thank you! Looking forward to seeing pictures of your churches display. What a great idea!

Jacquelyn Stager said...

Thank you Kaye. See my comment to Rebecca on the nativity. I forgot to mention that the sunrise picture is in the public domain on the internet and it was taken in New Zealand. I thought it was pretty amazing too!

Pat said...

Thank you for such a beautiful post, we anticipate with joy His return!
I also appreciate your previous post on Advent. We never observed it when I was a child and have been curious as to its meaning.
You are a blessing!

Jacquelyn Stager said...

Pat, thank you. I've only become acquainted with some of the rich Christian traditions as an adult also, as well as the old hymns of the church. They all can be quite meaningful! You are a blessing as well, friend!