Sep 17, 2012

Sin and the kitchen floor...


Recently we decided to take some money my hubby earned and give it to Lowe's in exchange for a new kitchen floor.  The one we had was really pretty over 17 years ago when it was very white and shiny.  I worked hard to keep it that way too for a long time. Eventually however it lost it's no-wax feature and became a real source of aggrevation as I struggled to make it look as clean as possible.  But no matter how hard I tried, time, kids, and wear and tear had taken its toll and it just never looked really clean anymore.  

So we went from one extreme to the other, this time choosing a darker laminate that has a random pattern that looks something like stone.  It's amazing how I don't spend nearly as much time cleaning the new floor.     It just doesn't "look" dirty.  I gleefully posted on Facebook: "So, if you change out your all-white kitchen floor for a darker, patterned one, the same dirt accumulates, but you don't see it, right?  works for me!"

A friend commented: "When the sun shines in and shows all the dust I thought I'd cleaned, it helps me remember that in God's light, I'm more sinful than I appear!"

Now isn't THAT the Gospel Truth!

And it is actually something I've been thinking a lot about lately too.  I know I am more sinful than I appear. And I bet you are too.  Just like there are areas of my home I keep hidden from visitors, there are hidden places in my heart that are messy at best, but when God shines His light on them, they are exposed for what they are...dirty, sinful rooms that need a makeover.

God's shining light is a good thing. I'm thankful He cares enough about me to show me where my thoughts, words, or deeds are not expressing His pure nature~areas that He wants to clean up and replace with something new, clean, and beautiful.

"Search me, O God, and know my heart!
Try me and know my thoughts!
See if there be any grievious way in me,
And lead me in the way everlasting!"
~Psalm 139:23-24~


5 comments:

Dee said...

Good spiritual insight...and yes I am a sinner...but a forgiven one.:)

Jacquelyn Stager said...

Oh YES Dee! Thank GOD we are forgiven!

Pat said...

Wonderful post filled with such truth!
I love lessons like this that every one can apply to their heart.
The "Sonshine" really can show the dust, can't it?

Diana said...

What a thought filled comparison! I love it! Love Di ♥

Samuel said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.