Feb 3, 2011

Where were you when the snow came down?





Wow, what a week! The sun is shining today for the first time in quite a while. We've sure had a lot of winter around here. Just yesterday, this is what it looked like from my front door...um, and these are NOT black and white photos!





But I'm really not complaining. I've enjoyed being snowed in with the grandkids this week. The only time I get all stressed up over bad weather is when my loved ones are out driving in it. It has been a much easier week for me than it was for them. All I did was have a lot of fun. Here's some highlights of what we did.

I taught Ethan how to sort the silverware...


then he helped me with the laundry...

both of them wanted to paint every day...

one of my big rules is we have to clean up one mess before starting another...

one morning we made huckleberry scones...

another day we had an indoor "cookout"

we got musical...

we baked again...

This is my first attempt at making Maria's polka dot cupcakes, which you can see a photo of her's in my sidebar. They are the best tasting cupcakes ever, and really easy to make from scratch. See the recipe at the end of this post. I will work on my frosting skills!

THEY played out on the deck so I could keep an eye on them without having to be out there myself!
There was about 2 inches of ice on top of about 8 inches of snow, and another inch or so on top of the ice!



someone was finally worn out!


So what did YOU do all week, and how was YOUR weather?

Chocolate Polka Dot Cupcakes


1 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup dark, unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup strong brewed coffee, cooled

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Measure all the dry ingredients into mixing bowl. Blend the ingredients together thoroughly with a whisk and make three indentations.

Pour the vanilla into the first hole, the vinegar into the second, and the vegetable oil into the third.

Take the cup of brewed coffee and pour it directly over everything in the pan. Stir all the ingredients together until they are well blended.

Bake for 15 minutes. Makes 1 dozen cupcakes.

Note: This recipe has been slightly altered by me from a post WWII recipe put out by King Arthur Flour. It originally was intended to make a “cake pan” cake.

Buttercream frosting (from Wilton)

1/2 cup Crisco

1 stick softened butter

1 tsp. vanilla (clear)

4 cups powdered sugar

2 Tablespoons milk

Cream Crisco and butter together with beaters, add vanilla, then powdered sugar a cup at a time, then add milk and continue beating to desired consistency. Tint to desired color, frost cupcakes, and sprinkle with semi-sweet chocolate chips.


"Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father. " Colossians 3:17

10 comments:

Dee said...

How cute...your grands are adorable and what fun you provided for them...makes me want to get in my car and travel nine hours to see my grands. I love the picture of little Ethan standing at the sink washing dishes. :)

Rebecca said...

What a great variety of activity you squeezed into your snow days!

Your blog is beautiful! Love the picture & the way you coordinated your background with your sweater/top! Also the heart locket - You're the Woman, Jacquelyn!

Debbie said...

I'm a new visitor to your blog. I couldn't help but notice how your grandchildren cook, do laundry, wash dishes, bake, entertain, make precious art work and kill you with cuteness. I'm going to call my daughters immediately and demand that we get some! :D
They are precious!

Wanda..... said...

Ethan looks like a natural behind that guitar and paint brush and your sweet granddaughter is becoming a pro in your kitchen, with all her baking, Jacquelyn. Life is good, especially with grandkids!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Fun in the snow! And those cupcakes... oh my. How I'd love a bite right about now.

Can I come over and play at your house?

peace~elaine

Lori said...

Now if this doesn't put a smile on your face what could...so adorable...so fun...and what a wonderful grandma you are to do all these simple down to earth activities with them...they are so very blessed to have you...since snow and cold are just normal for us we pretty much go about our business...I don't really mind the weather unless I have to drive in it or worry about my husband driving in it...thanks for putting a big smile on my face tonight! :)

Rose said...

The pictures are adorable, and of course the children are precious. The snow photos are so beautiful.As I read all the fun things you did, I just kept thinking "can I be snowed in at Jacquelyn's house?" Lol. Love the post.

Judy said...

I want to be snowed in with all of you too!

My grandkids were snowed in at their house. I missed them.

Don't tell ANYONE this, but pretty much all I did was watch A LOT of TV.

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

Hi Jacquelyn,
Looks like you had such a fun time with your grandchildren, they are so adorable. Loved the shot of him rinsing off the dishes standing on his tip toes. So Sweet!
That is great all the stuff you are teaching him and they are so so willing at that age. Those scones, smores and cupcakes all looked delish and fun!! So cute that you wore him out and he just fell asleep on the stairs. They are so precious.
I am at least hopeful now we might have some grandchildren before we die!! lol
Thanks for coming by today, and I was so glad you said that was your church blog or whatever, cause when I saw it I thought someone must not have liked something I said and started to say something but changed their mind. Funny how your mind works, course, sometimes I think we have a lil help with that!! lol
I tell you attitudes and emotions are the hardest things we christians deal with I think!!
Cause attitude is really everything, and the enemy is always trying to cause us to be bitter or resentful, at least, he works on me like that, but I had two role models that cause me to stop and think about where that stuff takes you.....to nowheresville, and does nothing but ruin your life and sour
all your relationships. So when tempted I always remember those 2 women I loved so much, and what anger, resentment and bitterness did to them, and to me and my family and it gets me on my knees pronto.
Hope you have a great rest of the week hon.
Love and Blessings, Nellie
If you see Roland and Joan say Hi for me. Make your last lap the best as they always say!! lol

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

Me again,
Also meant to say what a lovely pic that is of you and your hubby and love your new blog look. Very pretty.
Have a good one,
Blessings, Nellie