Dec 3, 2011

Simply Christmas: Bless the windows shining bright...


It was a beautiful sunny Saturday today. Being pretty exhausted from the emotional tole of care-giving this past week, we had no real plans. The temperature was only 33 degrees, but at noon the sun was bright and we decided hubby would wash the outside windows and I would do the inside~~~downstairs only~~~in preparation for hanging  our wreaths. This was a totally spontaneous act, and sharing this chore  made us both feel better.  It only took about an hour, and that was with a couple coffee breaks! That left plenty of time to accomplish a few other chores too.  The house still isn't decorated like it usually would be by now.  But we played some Christmas music throughout the afternoon and drank spiced hot tea and ate oatmeal cookies while we worked.  I thoroughly enjoyed spending this time together....just the two of us.

Does anyone remember this song? I learned it in the 6th grade in my PUBLIC school. The words  seem appropriate as we prepare our hearts and homes for opportunities to practice hospitality during this Christmas season.

Bless This House



Bless this house O Lord we pray; Make it safe by night and day;
Bless these walls so firm and stout, Keeping want and trouble out:
Bless the roof and chimneys tall, Let thy peace lie over all;
Bless this door, that it may prove ever open to joy and love.

Bless these windows shining bright, Letting in God's heav'nly light;
Bless the hearth a'blazing there, with smoke ascending like a prayer;
Bless the folk who dwell within, keep them pure and free from sin;
Bless us all that we may be Fit O Lord to dwell with thee;
Bless us all that one day we May dwell O Lord with thee.

"Unless the Lord builds the house, those who build it labor in vain. Unless the Lord guards the city, the guard keeps watch in vain." Psalm 127:1


6 comments:

Rebecca said...

Beautiful window, beautiful post, beautiful song! Yes, I remember it well. It was a theme song to a radio program my mother listened to every day - I think something on WMBI (Moody radio) years ago. Sure wish I could remember what program!

Pat said...

Call me silly, but I find the day of window washing romantic in a most Godly way. Sharing a chore, sharing cookies...sharing the day together. It is what a good marriage looks like.
Yes, I too remember that song, I also learned it in school. Oh that children should learn such songs in todays public schools. I will be singing it in my heart today, thank you!
hugs!

Lois Christensen said...

I know that song as a poem! My mother had it on a plaque of some sort in her kitchen. My brother gave it to her when he was really small. Glad you were able to get your windows done. Hope you're having a nice Sunday! I like your new profile picture on Facebook!

Beth E. said...

I remember that song....I haven't heard it in such a long time.

Your picture is beautiful. That is some deep snow!

Hubby and I washed all of our windows last spring. We missed our chance this past fall...I guess we will have to wait for some pretty with like you had! :-)

Jacquelyn Stager said...

the picture is of one of our dining room windows and was taken last year. We DID have a lot of snow...none this year yet and that is fine with me!

Bernie said...

Loved this post as I could feel the loved shared between you and your husband. I hope the holidays will be filled with much love and peace for you and your family. Sending big hugs and many prayers always......:-)