Jul 26, 2011

Have you ever made scones?



A friend of mine, Christy, is in town (from England where she is living) for 5 weeks and I had some precious girlfriend time with her and my other friend Jennifer for a couple of hours the other day.  First we ate Mexican food, then we went next door and hung out at the coffee shop.  Christy held an event at our church and Jennifer and I contributed home made scones. I thought I'd share my recipe here.  They are very easy and fun to make!  


Blueberry Scones 

4 cups all purpose flour
6 tablespoons sugar
4-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons cold butter
2 eggs
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk, divided
1-1/2 cups fresh blueberries  

In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.  In a bowl, whisk eggs and 3/4 cup milk; add to dry ingredients just until moistened.  Turn onto lightly floured surface and gently knead in the blueberries.  


Divide the dough in half and pat each portion into an 8 inch circle.  Cut each into 8 wedges.  Place on greased baking sheets.  Brush with remaining milk and sprinkle a little sugar on top. 


 Bake at 375 ℉ for 15-20 minutes or until lightly golden on top.  Serve warm.  (I decided to drizzle a powdered sugar frosting on top.  I've also made these using chocolate chips instead of the blueberries.)




"A friend loves at all times"  Proverbs 17:17

5 comments:

Diana said...

I have always wanted to try Scones. And my daughter has been into cooking and baking so I'm pretty sure that I can get her to make them!!
Thanks Jacquelyn!!
So glad that you had time to spend with your friend. Love Di ♥

Wanda..... said...

Cranberry orange scones are a favorite here, but haven't made them in quite awhile. I have some blueberries and you've inspired me to get up and go make some...thanks, Jacquelyn.

Beth E. said...

Oh, these look delicious...I'll have to try your recipe!

Jess said...

All I can say is "YUM!"
My daughter Katie used to make scones. The last time she did so at my house was when she put together a "tea" for my Mom and me. That was probably 3 months before Mom passed. Poignant memory. ((HUGS))

Pat said...

Yes, I do make scones, and we love them! Blueberry Lemon is one of our favorites!
When I first made them I was so pleasantly surprised at how easy they were to make.
I like a little frosting on mine too, that old sweet tooth of mine always demands it! LOL!