Apr 17, 2009

Life's little interruptions

This past week has been full of those little life interruptions that seem to keep coming at you and you just need to respond almost without thinking. You just do what you need to do.

Long ago I realized there are many things that happen in life that I may not have chosen, but just the same, things that I need to handle just because of who I am, and embrace the day for what it is. Busier than planned days. Sick days. Helping others days. Days "off" that turned into "days on". Filling commitments days. Non-stop, exhausting days, frustrating days. The kind of days that make you want to scream when someone innocently asks you, "do you work?" like the young girl at the doctor's office the other day. (I did try to answer, but my mouth felt like it was full of sticky peanut butter and nothing coherent would come out). Somehow "I babysit my grandchildren" didn't seem like the answer she was expecting, (or could appreciate) as we were trying to find a day to schedule some minor surgery and a follow up appointment.

Not only my days, but my NIGHTS have been interruped this week. Cold medicine does that to me...keeps me awake. During one of the crazy days this week, the thought had run through my mind that I needed to do something for my soul. But there was just no time or energy left to read, meditate or even think.

But God took care of me anyway, and in a really sweet way. I layed there in bed one night awake for several hours and just let some favorite old hymns wash through my sleepy brain. Over and over the words rolled, and my heart took hold of the truth of them. I felt very safe, loved, and covered. Even refreshed, without sleep!

"The Lord is my shepherd to feed, guide, and shield me, I shall not lack. He makes me lie down in fresh, tender green pastures; He leads me beside the still and restful waters. He refreshes and restores my life, my self; He leads me in the paths of righteousness, uprightness and right standing with Him--not for my earning it, but for His name's sake. Yes, though I walk through the deep, sunless valley of the shadow of death, I will fear or dread no evil, for You are with me; Your rod to protect and Your staff to guide, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my brimming cup runs over. Surely only goodness, mercy and unfailing love shall follow me all the days of my life, and through the length of my days the house of the Lord and His presence shall be my dwelling place." Psalm 23, Amp.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How can anyone understand 'refreshed without sleep' unless they know Jesus?
May God bless you my sister-in-Christ, as He continues to refresh you and then strengthen you in spirit and in body.