May 12, 2009

My "grand" Mother's Day Week - Day One

The South Carolina bunch are on the way back home tonight, and I'm anxious to tell some stories, one day at a time. They arrived ahead of schedule last week on Thursday morning before Grandpa left for work, choosing to drive through the night in hopes of having a quieter ride up I-77 I guess. "They" would be our older son, Andy, his awesome wife, Ellie, and our darlings, Deacon and Owen. Oh, and Calvin, our granddoggie. As always, it was such a thrill to see them walk through the door!

It was a normal babysitting day for me with the other two grandchildren, so we had a full house right from the start. Nothing really out of the ordinary to report. However, the "excitement" built as my grand Mother's Day week unfolded, so I hope you will come back, gentle reader.

In the meantime, I thought I'd offer this recipe which is what I made for supper on Thursday evening. It came from my mother-in-law years ago and it is quick, easy, and very tasty. I make it in the pressure cooker and I think that's what makes the chicken so tender.

CHICKEN MARENGO

2-3 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 tsp. coarse black pepper
1 cup seasoned flour in a ziplock bag
couple cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 - 1 lb. sliced fresh mushrooms
large can crushed tomatoes
1 cup dry white wine
2-3 Tbsp. cooking oil

Flour chicken by shaking in flour in ziplock bag. Brown in bottom of pressure cooker in hot oil. Remove chicken and add mushrooms, garlic, tomatoes and wine. Replace chicken in pan and close pressure cooker. Heat on medium setting. Continue cooking for 10 minutes with regulator rocking slowly. Turn off heat and let pressure drop before opening lid. Serve over boiled and drained wide noodles.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yuuummmmm..... Sounds amazing! (And so does the recipe - hee hee)

Waiting to hear about your grand Mother's Day week. I know you must be tired, but 'good-tired'. :)

Wanda..... said...

Sounds delicious...don't grandmothers have it nice...so many to love us!